AS 3992 Impact Testing Requirements

Home Forums General AS3992 Questions AS 3992 Impact Testing Requirements

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mal
    Spectator

While developing a PQR for AS3992 the question of Impact Testing arose, the application is for Power Generation, elevated temperature service, Material is A335-P11 18mm Thick.
    My understanding of Impact testing has always been that this is required for Low Temperature Service however a Collegue is ardament that it is required.
    while revieving AS3992 Cl 7.7 and Table 7.2 I can see that the colum headed "Where Impact Tests are Required"  lists Class 1 Boilers to AS1228 (Fullstop) yet Pressure vessels and APiping only where MDMT is < -30 Degres C.
    A lot of hoping from once place to another looking at figures and tables but nothing to clarify exactly when impact testing is required.
    Any advise would be much appreciated, in the mean time ill keep digging.
    I think this forum is a great idea

Regards
    Mal

Ballbearing
    Spectator

Mal,
    What is the fabrication code ? That will (should) tell you when impact testing is required.
    AS/NZS 3992, ASME IX, BS/EN 287-288 etc will tell you how to do impacts and where but will not tell you when. That info is in the fabrication code.
    Regards,
    BB

Mal
    Spectator

BB,
    Application Code in this Case is AS1228.

Regards
    Mal

Flash
    Spectator

Mal
    from my experience you are right that impacts are for low temp service
    it would be unusual to do impacts for high temp service
    BB is spot on in asking what is the fab code, I would also add is there a client spec as  it might appear in there
    R
    Flash

cassgazz
    Spectator
    Mal
    Spectator

Thanks Guys,
    The thing that looses me is Boilers (Fullstop), lets put the clauses etc aside and consider WHY would such a requirement be listed for Class 1 Boilers (Or any boiler for that matter) As we are discussing Material Minimum Design Temperatures and Boilers  designed specifically for Elevated Temperature Service in the same sentance? Any Thoughts

Sorry for not paying more attention to this post, I think it is a great idea!

Cheers
    Mal

Flash
    Spectator

Hi Mal
    I have been following up on your post
    and Step cooling is a potential situation that impacts are used but this is not for the usual fracture toughness they are used for an indication of sensitivity to temperature embrittlement
    I have a paper on it
    read below and see what you think

http://www.t-put.com/EN_welding_CrMo.pdf

I hope sheds some light on the situation

R
    Flash

Chris
    Spectator
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.