Tig welder wont arc!

Home Forums General TIG/GTA Tig welder wont arc!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    adam1001
    Spectator

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and would just like some info on the following problem I have come across.

I have had a BOC Smootharc 190 AC/DC Tig for about 6 months now never had a problem with it. I have welded AC, DC S/S Aluminum and Steel from 30 amps to 180.

The last time I used I was 20 minutes into welding and lost arc while welding.  I then noticed since a yellow light comes on when I try and arc.  (as pictured)

I am unsure what this light means and would appreciate any info leading to this problem before I give it to the shop to have a look at.  I do not have any documentation on the welder and can not find any on the net.

Thank you for your time
    IMG_1214.JPG

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Manjimike
    Spectator

Hi Adam, according to the similar Smootharc TIG 185 manual, it is overcurrent indicator.

Cheers
    Mike

adam1001
    Spectator

Cheers for the reply Mike.

Would make sense and does look similar. If this is the case I think the next best move is to have it looked at by a technician.

Thanks

Manjimike
    Spectator

Good luck Adam

adam1001
    Spectator

I have a similar manual from another boc welder.

The light and sign that is come on is ‘Collective Interference’. It mentions that;

If the collective interference signal light is on, the power unit is automatically
    switched off. Because some interference is short-term and one-off (e.g. mains
    voltage surges), the signal light will go out again and the welding machine is
    ready for welding. If the collective interference signal light continues to be on
    after an appropriate waiting time, see the chapter on troubleshooting

Maybe running through 10amp is triggering something in the machine.. anyone had any problems with this before?

Thank you

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.