Welder Qualification Testing to AS3992 and ASME

Home Forums General AS3992 Questions Welder Qualification Testing to AS3992 and ASME

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tractor Daz
    Spectator

Hi all,
    I'm new to the group and also have never posted on a forum before but I have a question maybe someone can help with. I have been asked to submit a Welder qualification test coupon for RT testing to a WPQR that was made to ASME IX & B31.3.

Although the PQR does not reference AS/NZS 3992 and testing was only conducted to the ASME acceptance criteria,  ie mechanicals and NDT, I was asked to add 3992 to the request. My supervisor believes that AS3992 is only a test of the welders ability and therefore the PQR and WPS do not have to reflect 3992. I believe that the PQR should have had the additional mechanicals and NDT for it to be listed on the welder qual.

Am I right or wrong, sorry for the long winded explanation

Tractor Daz

cassgazz
    Spectator

Welcome Tractor Daz,

AS/NZS 3992 is for welder & procedure qualification. Although the weld procedure is qualified to ASME IX, AS/NZS 3992 recognises these procedures (provided all parties are in agreeance), provided any extra testing has been undertaken to cover the testing required by AS/NZS 3992.

I believe that your question is in a grey area, as AS/NZS 3992 states that the welder is required to undertake a test to a qualified weld procedure, however does not state it has to be to Australian Pressure Equipment Standards. You would automatically take this as a given, being an Australian Standard, however the point could be argued I guess.

For the welder to be qualified to AS/NZS 3992, the test piece would also need to be qualified to this standard.

I agree with your response, in that AS/NZS 3992 should not be listed, unless extra testing is undertaken to prove the weld procedure to Australian Standards. If that is undertaken, the WPS may need to be revised, to take into account the essential variables AS/NZS 3992, or both standards combined.

Tractor Daz
    Spectator

Thanks Cassgazz. You’ve shed light on something I think is subjective. I believe you are always better to conduct the full range of tests outlined in the applicable standards right from the start. If you need to convert an old procedure to include other welder qualifications not listed and haven’t complied with all the mechanicals and NDT in the PQR, then its time to write a new procedure and commit to the full range of testing outlined in all the applicable standards.

Tractor Daz

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.